History

History of All Saints' Church

The beginning of All Saints' Parish dates back to 1911 when services were held by the Rev Ritchey in the old Methodist Church building in Pleasant  Ridge. From this beginning the Woman's Auxiliary was formed. During the next few years those interested in the service of the church met in homes Friday evenings with different clergypersons officiating.

Early in the year 1917 the group became a preaching station under the care of the Rector of the Church of The Good Shepherd, Norwood. The name All Saints' was chosen, the name taken from a church in England where the Messham family had worshipped. A room was rented at the corner of Ridge Avenue and Montgomery Road and on Palm Sunday, 1917 Archdeacon Reade officiated at the first Holy Communion with 44 present. Sunday School was organized with Mr. Dudley M Bartlett as superintendent.

During the summer of 1917 the group moved to a vacant store building on Montgomery Road, which subsequently housed a fruit stand. The first Confirmation Service was held in this building July 21, 1918.

Early in 1918 All Saints' became a mission and the first Executive committee (now the Vestry) meeting was Thursday eveing, May 16, 1918. Two years later the mission moved into a remodeled house at 6206 Montgomery Road near where the Monte Vista Theatre once stood.

In 1927 All Saints' moved to its present location into a new building consisting of a church and parish house. This building was so constructed that it could be added to as the congregation grew.  The first service in this building was held on Easter Day, April 8, 1928.

In 1944 application was made to the Diocesan Convention for admission as a Parish and the requested was granted.

In 1950 the congregation was outgrowing its building so plans started for an addition to the building. Constructioin was started in 1952.  The following articles were placed in a copper box and sealed in the corner stone on October 5,1952:

  • Small sterling silver Celtic Cross
  • Holy Bible, RSV, published 9/30/52
  • Book of Common Prayer
  • Hymnal
  • "Forward Day by Day", Summer 1952, seal of the 57th Diocesan Convention
  • "Forward Day by Day", late Trinity, 1952, beginning October 5
  • Journal of the  70th Annual Convention of the Diocese of Southern Ohio, 1933, at which convention All Saints' was admitted as a Parish
  • Diocesan Messenger,  April 1952 with picture and article about All Saints' Building program
  • Diocesan Messenger, June 1950 with Diocesan Seal on Cover
  • Parish Bulletin October 1952
  • Brochure, showing architect's drawing for proposed enlarged building
  • Annual Parish reports, 1951
  • Brief history of early years of the Parish
  • Pictures of ground breaking ceremony, February 3, 1952
  • Order of service for the laying of the cornerstone. 
The construction was completed and dedicated on April 13, 1953. The new church sign was added in 2008. The present logo design was created by Robert Grove.
 
Sign Up for our Newsletter
Privacy by SafeSubscribe